Autumn 2019 - By John Walmsley It has been busy as usual this autumn. Malcolm Root brought in twenty six walkers as part of Karen Howlett’s Halstead Heritage walk in aid of Cancer Research which raised over £300. Jane Winch organized a visit over two days for 30 Ramsey school children researching for projects about Halstead. ‘Our Jim’ has had surgery and is now making good progress in his recovery.
Our ongoing tasks: David Tarbun is sorting through several thousand donated photos. ‘New Boy’ Dimitry is scanning his household deeds and a huge file on Greenstead Green. Myself and Dave Ward continue to scan the Halstead Gazette newspapers. Elizabeth Fall is on her third year labelling our photo archive. Trevor Beal is reorganising our vast library of digital images. Stuart Lock has been scanning tens of thousands of Geoff Root’s negatives and creating a searchable catalogue for our museum…..all done at his home. Thanks to all for your continuing efforts.
Our recent acquisitions all of which can be viewed at the Museum:
• A 230 year old velum document from Hedingham
• A 1912 Essex Kelly’s Directory
• Mr Frost (headmaster) photographic archive (above)
• Cleonie Branwhite Greenstead Green archive
• Several Halstead Town football programs
• A ladies football program from the 50s
• A German POW letter
• A German POW Christmas card
• Several old postcards